Lagaholm’s castle ruin

Where the old road to Halmstad crosses the river Lagan lies Lagaholm’s castle ruin. Lagaholm castle was built in the 1200s and was demolished in the 1600s by order of Sweden’s king, Charles XI. In the 1930s the ruins were dug out and restored. Now Sydkraft’s operating centre, salmon farm and power station lies here. Sydkraft’s exhibition and slide show give a historical flashback to the importance of Lagaholm during the Middle Ages as a stronghold between Sweden and Denmark.

Lagaholm’s history

Already during the 1200s there was a royal estate here, belonging to the Danish king, but the location has been used long before that. The first rapid in Lagan flows in Lagaholm, with a natural ford for the coast road and for Lagastigen, which from here followed the river Lagan up to Taberg where it was only around 10 kilometres left until it reached Jönköping. In 1228, two famous kings gathered in the castle: Erik Klipping, the Danish and Slave king, issued a letter to Magnus Ladulås of Sweden where they mutually agreed and promised each other to not support anyone who opposed against them. In 1344, the king Magnus Eriksson wrote a letter to the Hansa from the castle, where he complains about the enormous taxes that the Swedish citizens and merchants had to pay in the German cities. Laholm gained its city privileges during the 14th century. The castle burned down in 1637 but was then rebuilt by Kristian IV and besieged by the Swedes during Gustav Horn, 2 – 14 May 1644. After this, the castle was provided with a bastioned five-hinged carriageway and a couple of exteriors, according to Örnehufwud’s dessein. In 1652, a couple of bridgeheads were built. During the excavations of the castle ruins in the 1930s, a lot of beautiful ceramics were found (which today are exhibited at Halland’s Cultural History Museum in Varberg), a large number of medieval skeletons from the cemetery below the fortress and a small Madonna that adorned the castle. Under the castle there were also fireplaces from the Stone Age. The location in the middle of Lagan’s roar has thus been a centre for 10 000 years.

Läs mer

Läs mer om Laholms historia här

Sökresultat: